First of all, apologies for this being a short post (and a huge gap since the last one) but I’m exhausted! Of course, we had a delicious dinner, so I need to share. Better yet it was a delicious and incredibly easy dinner (like, less than 30 minutes of actual work and 45 minutes of wine/crafting while the oven did it’s thing). So I have to post, right?!
Yesterday we found a nice 50% off package of organic lean turkey meat when shopping for a pre-planned dinner of barbecue and black bean topped sweet potatoes. Naturally, we couldn’t leave it there for someone else. We agreed that Monday night would be ground turkey night. What to do with it though? We’ve gotten some good practice with turkey meatballs, but I wasn’t really feeling pasta. After this weekend I needed a bit of healthy in my life (not that pasta can’t be healthy, in moderation, but I don’t have time for moderation right now-just give me good for me, and give me a lot of it). I sent this link for ideas, but could’t find one I liked. But what I could do was take some inspiration.
Have you been tempted by the healthy spaghetti alternative, spaghetti squash, yet?? I have, but hadn’t committed.
I biked home from work, and made a pit stop at the grocery store. Lucky me, squash was on sale. So was the pasta sauce I love, the organic store brand option! With those items in hand – and ONLY those items (believe me, I was proud of my willpower in a store that sells FOOD) – I headed home to create. The results were tremendous. I didn’t need to use any oil in this recipe, the turkey cooked up great in my nonstick skillet. The spaghetti squash cooked perfectly in the oven, no real attention needed. It is incredibly easy to make this squash super tasty, and it’s healthy!! One cup of it contains 10% of your daily vitamin C, 9% of your fiber, other minerals and vitamins, and is only 42 calories/10 carbs!! Yes please!
Browning the turkey and adding the mushrooms-already drooling.
Wine and tomato basil sauce? Sure.
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 (2 or 3lb) spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 4 oz crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- Red wine (to drink, and to splash in the sauce)
- Handful of cheese (or daiya cheese, in my case!)
- Turn oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut squash long ways, clean out seeds, place cut side down in roasting pan (I lined mine with foil).
- Drink wine.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Kill 30 minutes drinking more wine and playing with your dog (or making crafts!)
- Heat skillet to medium.
- Cook ground turkey until almost all brown. Add in mushrooms. Season if needed.
- Add pasta sauce and splash of red wineand heat through.
- Remove squash from oven, flip over halves so they are squash bowls.
- Scoop turkey mixture into squash halves. You will likely only need half the mixture. We reserved the remaining turkey sauce to put on the spaghetti squash we couldn’t eat, for leftover lunch. You could also cut the squash in half after baking and add more sauce if you are serving 4 people.
- Top with cheese if you like, and bake for an additional 7-9 minutes.
- Cut in half again to share, or simply eat out of a half all by yourself! We started on a half each, and had leftovers of course!
- Drink more wine.