I crack myself up with that title. I know it’s awful, sorry about it. Hahahaa…delishy.
We rarely cook fish in our house. Something about it intimidates us-perhaps the multitude of times I have completely screwed up a seafood attempt. I’m pretty good at mixing up tuna salad, and sauteeing shrimp for taco night-but that’s about the extent of my experimentation with this wonderful food category. On Monday night my love returned from his trip back home. I though it would be fun to celebrate with a different meal, and so found myself scouring the Sprouts newsletter for meal inspirations. Salmon was on sale, and so, voila! Salmon for dinner. It was also a beautiful afternoon and evening, and we decided grilling it would be the best option. After developing a very simple marinade, which we left the salmon in for about 3 hours, it was grilled and laid on a bed of caesar salad! Homemade croutons to boot. This was one of the most delicious, simple, excitingly flavorful meals I’ve made in a long time. Or should I say, he made, because the marinade started when I was still at work… 🙂
While we enjoyed our meal, outside on a gorgeous summer evening, Cooper played in the next room with his new frisbee. Picture is at the bottom-isn’t he just adorable? But back to the salmon…
Grilled Marinated Salmon with Caesar Salad and Homemade Croutons
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 TBS + 1 TBS vegetable oil, separated
- 1 lb salmon filet, skin on
- A few pieces of french/italian bread (we chose wheat)
- 1 Heart romaine lettuce
- Handful of sundried tomatoes (optional)
- Caesar dressing
- Parmesan cheese
- Mix up the first 7 ingredients (just 2 TBS of the olive oil) in a large bowl or dish (large enough to fit salmon flat)
- Place salmon in marinade, coating both sides. Leave skin side up, in marinade, covered in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- About 45 minutes before grilling the salmon, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up the bread into 1/2 inch cubes (crouton size).
- Toss in 1 TBS olive oil, add seasonings you like-garlic, salt, pepper were our choices.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stirring at 5 minutes to assure even cooking.
- Just before grilling, mix up salad ingredients: chop romaine, toss with caesar, parmesan cheese and sundried tomatoes. Top with croutons.
- Heat grill to medium-high. Air on medium, so as to not overcook the fish.
- Place salmon skin side up on grill, slightly off from the heat. Cook 5-7 minutes.
- Flip and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on doneness desire (is that a word?) 🙂
- Remove from grill, allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Carefully cut salmon into thirds, removing skin as you plate the fish. It should come off with ease!
- Enjoy (we also made garlic bread to go along with this-yumm!)!
- Great company!