Last weekend I took Cooper on a walk at a nearby park. It’s a great park that allows off-leash dogs, which gives me the perfect way to tire out the pup when I don’t feel like running! We had just gotten to the park when Cooper met an adorable hound mix named Ferris. Ferris is just 3 months old, and Cooper will be 1 year on Monday, but he plays really well with puppies. They rolled around, chased each other and acted crazy for about 15 minutes, giving Ferris’ mom and I time to chat and exchange numbers, to set up “play dates”. I swear-getting around to asking for the phone number of another woman is way more stressful then going out and meeting guys was when I was single. It’s like you need an excuse to ask for their number, you can’t just say, “I like you, I feel like we could get along mostly-we should hang out, as friends. Can I get yo digits?”
So Ferris’ mom texted me this last week and asked if we (Cooper, Tim and I) would like to come over for a Saturday afternoon cook-out. They have a fenced in yard and all dogs are welcome, she said. I asked what we could bring, her suggestion was something green, but I immediately began thinking of baked items I could make.
I think this is the third or fourth recipe for brownies I have added to this blog-but this is by far my favorite for summer. I love blueberries and chocolate, and decided to experiment by adding these delicious berries to a brownie recipe. I actually found inspiration in a whole wheat brownie recipe, so these are actually a healthier version too!! I mean, they’re still a bit sinful (butter and sugar…come on!), but slightly less than most options. And who wants something really healthy at a Saturday afternoon cookout anyway?? So I made up this pile of brownies and walked down with Tim and Cooper yesterday. The drink of the afternoon turned out to be Blueberry Dirty Arnies (blueberry lemonade and sweet tea vodka) so it was a blueberry themed afternoon! These were really popular too-which is always a great feeling. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
Blueberry Wheat Double Chocolate Brownies
- 4 TBS melted salted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 TBS warmed coconut oil (warmed just enough to pour)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×9 pan.
- Use a kitchen aid mixer if you have one, or beaters to cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut oil and continue to cream for 2 more minutes.
- Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each.
- Lower the mixer speed and add the flour and powder, mixing just until combined.
- Using a spoon, stir in the chocolate chips first, and then the blueberries (carefully as to not break them up).
- Spread batter in pan, and bake for 30 minutes. Check at 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes, slice and enjoy!